Thursday, September 01, 2011

Arsenal Transfer Conclusion

Well, the transfer window has finally shut and a frenetic last day certainly went well -- though I must admit it could have gone better. To be honest, I'm happy it's finally over, as I was on the blogs, reading all the rumors and generally driving myself crazy trying to figure out who we were going to sign. I wanted to now look back on the summer and consider the positives and negatives. First let's consider who left:

Fabergas: it's hard to measure the loss of this great player, but watching his first couple of games with Barcelona certainly makes it clear. While he has been injury prone of late and did have lapses of form in key matches, it is a real pity we couldn't convince him to spend his career with us.

Nasri: I'm kind of glad he is gone, but I miss watching his magical dribbling quality. His first performance with Man City was sublime and I'm sure there is much more to come. But given his attitude and statements since leaving, good riddance.

Clichy: I was sad to hear he was leaving, but really don't think he's much of a loss, except when City comes to town.
Eboue: After watching his key mistakes last year, I am really happy he is no longer around and I can say the same for Traore after one game.
Denilson: Never really impressed and won't be missed as far as I can tell. We can sign a much better player to fill that slot as backup and have some youngsters on the way up.
Vela: This might be a bit more troubling. It seemed like the year to give him a shot and given Chamakh's form, I might have preferred him, but haven't seen enough of him to know.
Bentner: Unlike most Gooners, I don't hate this guy as much. Actually, I know his scoring record and remember him putting it in the back of the net late in a few games two years ago (generally for 1-0 wins). But he might be excess at the moment.
Campbell: There's nothing we could do about this (as he didn't get the exception for a work permit). I really wish we could have put him in the reserves this year, but maybe more playing time will help him develop. 

Now to the signings:


Chu Park Young might very well become a great striker for us, but I am troubled that us stealing him from Lille at the last second might have cost us the player I wanted the most this summer - Eden Hazard (who really could replace Fabergas as the center piece of our forward play). Hopefully, we can take a real shot at him in the Winter or next Summer, but there will be plenty of competition. I still wonder why no bid even went in? Young does have a decent scoring record (though for a team that was relegated in France) and leadership experience with South Korea. 


Mertesacker: I think this is a good signing, but would have preferred Cahill (or maybe both). I know he might be cheaper in the winter and could go on a free next summer, but why take the risk? But his experience and height should really help us in the back.


Joel Campbell: I haven't seen much of him, but do think he could have a great future with the club. But let's wait and see ...


Gervinho: probably our best signing of the summer and based on his early play, a real offensive threat that should only improve with time. I'm bitter to think how nice it would have been to see he and Hazard link up again as they had in helping Lilli to the French League title last year.


Alex Oxlade-Chamberlin: odd that we spent more on him than any other player this summer, but given the competition for his service, I hope he has a bright future. 


Andre Santos: huh? May turn out to be a good left back, replacing Clichy, but I feel like there were probably better options, he's already 28, has a decent scoring record (I think 11 in 52 games for Turkey) and some international experience with Brazil, but still wonder why we didn't go stronger for Enrique or someone else right after Clichy left.


Yossi Benayoun: I remember better days for this 31 year old and we can certainly use him on the loan, but so many other players were available and this was just what was left. Could be useful as a backup to the first and second team. 


Arteta: well he is supposed to fill the gap, at least until the winter, and I have always liked his play with Everton, though there appeared to be a drop in form over the last year and a half or so. I think he will help us, if he stays injury free, but given all the younger players we were targeting, many of them already better, this is a bit of a disappointment, though salve as it looked like we may end up empty handed on our biggest target (creative midfielder).


One wonders with all the money in our war fund, why we didn't take a more serious shot at Hazard, Martin, Kaka, Valbueno, Elia or a host of others. Some of the rumors were ridiculous, but I really feel one great signing together with the others would make me feel a lot better. I do believe this is a squad that could compete for the FA or Carling Cup, though doubt they will be knocking on the door of the League title, or Champions League (obviously). We must wait and see and hope Wenger is now used to spending and does some more of it this winter. The obvious last questions are as follows:


1. Why did it take so long to get going on our biggest needs?
2. Even if Cahill cost too much, why didn't we just pay up under the circumstances? He really could have helped against Man U.
3. Will Young be worth it if it cost us Hazard? The answer is no fing way! We will have to wait and see if Hazard comes to us next year.
4. What happened to all the young French midfielders besides Hazard we were originally targeting?
5. Why not throw out a couple more million pounds to sign M'Villa? I believe he is better than Song and Frimpong and would really improve our overall performance.
6. Will the board or Wenger change the pay structure so we can actually sign the talent that would otherwise be willing to come to the Emirates? If not, we will perpetually rely on youngsters and lose our greatest players as they move on for the money offered by the other top clubs.


Can't wait for the first match with the new squad against Swansea a week from Saturday! And finally, go England!

No comments: