Saturday, August 27, 2011

Nasri a Whore?

A blog by a hated Man U fan today begged the question of whether Samri Nasri is a whore for taking the City money and running, rather than joining the cross-town rivals Man United: Truly Red Post. The Nasri saga has been written and spoken about to death with Arsenal fans now despising the ex-Gunner, City fans doubly bolstered by gaining his talent and snubbing powerhouse on the decline Arsenal and some Man U fans irked by his rejecting their offer after it was all but done. As an Arsenal fan, I have written a little about the deal on this blog. For me, I don't really want a player who doesn't want to be here, don't like all of the negativity he has spewed since leaving and yet understand his consternation at the transfer behavior of Arsenal over the past few years. But onto the question at hand ...

Why is it that greed is a completely acceptable principle of business and life in America (and to a lesser extent England) but greed in athletes, actors or musicians is anathema? I am one who despises greed and believe it is destroying not only America but much of the globe. But if these are the rules we play by, why should athletes be any different. Athletes have to deal with a particular series of challenges. The first is that they have a relatively short career compared with any other I can think of. Actors can work their entire lives (though this is obviously harder for actresses of uncertain age), lawyers, doctors and even stockbrokers can work until death, musicians these days can go on performing and earning money well past their prime and so on. But athletes work on a schedule -- and for footballers injury can derail a career in the blink of an eye. One needs to cash in when the getting is good or find themselves like many ex-NFLers in jail, the poor house or begging friends for money.

Wages these days have certainly changed things, and a few good years provide the kind of money most of us only dream of. But do 20-somethings really have the maturity and future-orientation to save when they can instead live such lavish lives? I think people can say Nasri was selfish and greedy, and I'm certainly disappointed in him, but the truth is Arsenal do appear to be on the decline and the collapse last year would leave anyone cold. Again, even if he is a flop at Man City, he will have made enough extra money to live the rest of his life in relative comfort.

Now onto the second point. The amount of grief that Lebron James got last year for jumping the Cleveland ship for the sunnier pastures of Miami was truly stunning. He wants to win and just because Jordan stayed in Chicago and won (with a better supporting crew in my estimation) doesn't mean that Lebron has to do the same. What is the primary goal of an athlete? As a competitive person myself, it is to win. Why is illegal drug use so high in so many sports -- the thrill of victory and agony of defeat. If we turn to Nasri, I have to say if it was predominantly about winning, he probably should have gone to Man U (though I shudder to type those words). Man City is now the most talented team in the world, but that won't necessarily translate to trophies. But look at the state of Arsenal? I still have hope, particularly if we close the deal on Hazard, Cahill and M'Villa in the next four days (fingers crossed), but I really can't blame a player for going where victory is more attainable. I would be remiss if I didn't close by saying that I partially blame Nasri, and his second half fall off, for the lack of silverware last year -- but there seemed to be a losing mentality there that I would want to get the hell away from myself. Don't get me wrong; I love loyalty to a team and respect players like Larry Bird, Paul Pierce and Derek Jeter that stay with a team their entire careers; I just think it's easy for writers and fans to dismiss important life decisions by what are essentially slightly overaged kids.

No comments: